[SOLVED] Wireshark : Packet size limited during capture


Wireshark and tcpdump are the two of the most useful tools in debugging a certain issue. Every now and then I use tcpdump to capture network packets in linux or unix platform and use wireshark to analyze the captured packets. I can’t imagine myself debugging network related issues without those two tools, it will be crawling in the dark =)

Recently we have an issue pertaining to HTTP transactions and I have to use tcpdump to capture the packets to see the exact data send out to our server. I got the  tcpdump with the http transaction however in wireshark I got a message with “Packet size limited during the capture“, you can see below screenshot.

You can see my full article at below article.



Eclipse plugin remote file system

Posted in PROGRAMMING, SERVERS, WEBBLOG by edeguzman on March 15, 2012

Have you ever experience working on a C++ project with GNU compiler where the build was on remote server. It’s really a pain where every now and then you have to upload your changes to the build server just for you to build.

I got a situation where I’m using windows workstation and I got a very old but big project which is multi-platform supporting windows, linux and solaris. Each of the three supported platforms has its own build server. I’m using Eclipse as my IDE for this C++ project  and good thing we have this NFS server that is mounted to all three platforms, having all my modified changes reflected to all build servers. Refer to below figure 1 diagram for the environment setup.
                Figure 1 Build Environment setup


You can see my full article at below article.


Replacing Easysoft Oracle driver with Oracle instant client

Posted in C/C++ LANGUAGE, PROGRAMMING, WEBBLOG by edeguzman on March 13, 2012

  I’ve decided to create an article on the several things that I’ve done to replace the Easysoft Oracle driver with the Oracle instant client because I did not found any article related to this topic (I might save someone’s time). For a minute I thought that this activity we’ll involved several man-dates to accomplish this activity, however it turn out to be just several man-hours but of course not involving build environment for our application.

The Easysoft  Oracle driver is really a good ODBC driver but the problem you have to pay for the license.  This is the reason we have to find an alternative that can also work harmoniously with unixODBC for the reason we want to cut cost. Good thing that Oracle finally provide there own ODBC driver that can work with unixODBC and it’s FREE!

You can follow everything I did in the below URL.


[SOLVED] tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Posted in RED HAT LINUX, SERVERS by edeguzman on March 4, 2012

The tar error mention in the subject is a common error you may encounter when your creating archive package with tar.  The error tells that tar encounter an error somewhere on its operation but the error is not that critical enough that will make tar fail or stop the operation, tar instead continue the process until it finishes.

However since we’re doing an important backup then every information is vital.  I’d list down every steps below until the issue occurs and provide a solution to pinpoint the root cause.

You can follow everything I did in the below URL.

[SOLVED] tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

DOM Nodes with empty TEXT NODE

Posted in C/C++ LANGUAGE, PROGRAMMING by edeguzman on February 13, 2012

In most cases DOM nodes can probably contain empty TEXT nodes for the reason that you read from file and tabs or spaces are being preserved in element nodes. This empty TEXT nodes sometimes a troublesome whenever you have an operation like you want to traverse to each child element nodes and do some process but suddenly the traversing to child nodes stop because of this empty TEXT node.

 I tried to google around to find a faster why to remove this empty TEXT nodes because I was hoping that there’s just an API call in DOM object that will automatically remove all empty TEXT nodes without affecting the child element nodes. I saw a lot of people encounter the same issue but provided complicate solution like using XSL. Then I decided to code it myself,  I was able to code it in 15 minutes in C++,  and I was googling around for about 1.5 hours 😦   Now after awhile I work on the servlet side then I’d encountered the same dilemma this time in Java.  This is the reason why I decided to share part of my code, just in case if someone might stumble in this dilemma.

Read more about this article in the below URL.