IBM T42 fan patch fixed

Posted in WEBBLOG by edeguzman on May 15, 2009

I just finally fixed my fan error problem of my IBM T42 thinkpad.  I’ve been having a hard time finding for the fan.  I just got lucky that I found one but its a second hand and from an IBM T40 thinkpad.  Although it was a little different from the fan of T42 Thinkpad, I just did a little improvise so that I can use the T40 fan on my T42.

The fan of T40 Thinkpad is short while the fan of T42 Thinkpad is long.  Though you can replace the T40 fan into a T42 unit without doing any changes but that’s quite risky. Because the long fan provides heatsink for the video card while the short fan don’t.

Since I was facing a dilema that I can’t use the T40 short fan to my T42, what I did is I took off the motor fan of the T40 short fan and so with my long T42 fan. And had it swap. Then it went fine.

I need to monitor the temperature of the laptap every now and then.  Below is the link for a guide on how to monitor and provide care on your laptap’s  fan by managing the laptap temperature.


http://www.technowledgebase.com/2007/07/03/monitoring-your-laptops-temperature/

Advertisements
Tagged with: , ,

5 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Regoldo said, on November 17, 2010 at 8:12 am

    B_s_it

  2. Goodluck Gunda said, on November 24, 2010 at 6:21 am

    Thanks for the help.. Be blessed

  3. Wm.A.Weasel said, on March 8, 2011 at 11:50 am

    Thanks, Edeguzman. I have the fan assembly out of my T42, and the blower appears to be attached to the heat sink with rivets. Was your fan assy. the same? If so, how did you get the blower and the heat sink apart?

    • edeguzman said, on March 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

      If I remember it correctly I used a screw driver and hammer to separate the fan from the heat sink. You just need to be very careful in not to damage the fan.

      May fan is still working great until now with this patch.

  4. Wm.A.Weasel said, on March 14, 2011 at 3:14 am

    I separated the blower from the heat sink by grinding the rivets out with a Dremel tool. The mounting studs on the new blower did not fit in the holes on the heat sink, or to be exact one of the four studs did fit after I ground it smaller, again with the Dremel. I attached the blower to the heat sink with JB Weld (a brand of epoxy).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: